I (Abi Saffrey) am the data controller and processor of any personal information you provide to Abi Saffrey, trading as Abi Saffrey Editorial Services. This means that I am responsible for complying with data protection laws. This Privacy Notice describes what personal information I may collect from you, why I use your personal information and the ways in which I use and protect your personal information.
Who do I collect information about?
I collect information about:
- previous, current and prospective clients
- users of this website.
When do I collect information?
I collect information when:
- you enquire about my services via email or telephone
- we enter into an agreement or contract with regards to a specific project
- you contact me for any other reason
- you visit my website (anonymous data collected by Google Analytics).
What information do I collect?
I may collect the following information:
- Personal information that you provide by sending an email, including your name, your contact details, including postal and email addresses, and other information relevant to your enquiry (regarding your book, content or project).
- Email and postal correspondence, and telephone conversations.
- Documents you supply in order to request a quote or fulfil a contract between us (e.g. the draft of your document, style guides, briefs).
- Job-specific information, including agreed fees, hours worked and any other information you provide to enable completion of projects.
- Anonymous information about your use of this website, including pages viewed. Such information includes traffic data, location data, browser usage, operating system and other communication data. Such information does not identify you personally but demonstrates how my website is performing.
I do not collect financial information: I issue invoices via email (for which I need your postal address, as per HMRC’s requirements). I do not accept direct payment by debit or credit card; any cheques are sent (using a tracked postal service) onto my bank on receipt.
I do not actively collect or store sensitive personal data, such as that relating to ethnicity, religion or age.
What information does my website collect about you?
My website is made using WordPress and related plugins, some of which place cookies (small text files) on your computer while you are using this site, mainly to protect this site from spam attacks. Cookies are widely used to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide basic information to website administrators/owners.
Most web browsers allow you to control cookies via the browser settings. You can choose to block the cookies placed by this website, but if you do so parts of the site may not work correctly.
What do I do with your information?
I use this information to:
- respond to your enquiry
- fulfil agreements or contracts with you
- let you know about my availability if we have an ongoing business relationship
- keep business and tax records
- analyse my business strategy and performance.
I keep information and documents indefinitely unless you ask me to delete them. I may be required to keep some information for a specified time; for example, details of business and financial transactions for tax purposes. I archive project documents and correspondence on completion but retain details and files for use in future projects with you or to maintain my business records.
I do not have a mailing list.
How do I store your information?
My email accounts and software (Mailbird) automatically store email addresses that are used in correspondence. Email addresses may also be stored in documents relating to specific projects; for example, purchase orders, contracts, invoices.
I keep the email addresses of potential clients to whom I have directly marketed my services; I only store email addresses that I have found on publicly available websites.
I keep all information and files related to specific projects locally on my password-protected computer and backed up to password-protected cloud storage with a reputable provider.
I use passwords to protect my computer, and fingerprint recognition to protect my mobile phone.
All files and data are irretrievably deleted from all old devices before disposal.
If I become aware of a security breach, I will inform you as soon as possible should I think that your information may be vulnerable.
How can you control the information I hold about you?
You can restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- You can request details of personal data (as defined under the GDPR) that I hold about you. A small fee may be payable.
- If you believe that any information I am holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact me. I will promptly correct information where required.
- You can ask me to delete personal data, information and copies of any documents you send me after a project is completed, except what I am required to keep by law or for tax purposes (such as invoices, contracts, purchase orders).
- You can tell me that you do not want me to use your information to tell you about my availability or new services.
- If you have previously agreed to me using your personal information for such direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time.
Will I share your data?
I will not sell or distribute personal data to any third party without your consent, unless required to by law or for tax audit purposes.
22 April 2021